If the mistletoe isn’t working for you this festive season, then it may be time to try a little bit of cheese in your search for a Christmas date.
match.com has surveyed UK singles to compile a definitive list of the Top 10 yuletide chat-up lines for those hoping to strike it lucky in the run-up to Christmas. Taken from film, song and urban folklore, here are the lines that were voted most likely to secure festive flirtation:
- ‘Can I take your picture? Because I want Santa to know exactly what I want for Christmas.’
- ‘All I want for Christmas Is you.’ (from Mariah Carey’s song of the same name)
- ‘How much do all of Santa’s reindeer weigh? Enough to break the ice.’
- ‘I must be a snowflake, because I’ve fallen for you.’
- ‘I didn’t think I was a snowman, but you just made my heart melt’
- ‘You can unwrap me anytime.’
- ‘To me, you are perfect.’ (from Love Actually)
- ‘Are you Christmas? Because I want to Merry you.’
- ‘What’s the difference between you and the Grinch? The Grinch stole Christmas, but you’ve just stolen my heart.’
- ‘You make it feel like Christmas.’
Forty-five per cent of those surveyed said that chat-up lines work best at Christmas because you can get away with being cheesy, while over half (54 per cent) of those said that such lines could be effective in the right environment. More than a third (thirty-six per cent) believed such soundbites were more effective than mistletoe in trying to find Christmas date.
Among those who didn’t make the Top 10 were 1990s boy band East 17 (‘Baby if you’ve got to go away, don’t think I can take the pain’) and crooner Dean Martin (‘as long as you love me so, let it snow’)
Kate Taylor, relationship expert for match.com, comments: “Christmas is the season of goodwill to all men, so women should be more amenable to cheesy chat-up techniques at this time of year. If you can banter about Santa with some festive flirting, keep your best Christmas chat-up lines up your sleeve to give you the confidence to approach new people. Saying ANYTHING – even if it’s cornier than a Richard Curtis movie – has got to be better than standing under the mistletoe alone. Approach with confidence, keep it light-hearted and fun, and use your best smile; you’ll be sure to sleigh them”
Notes to editors
For further information or interviews with match.com’s experts please contact firstname.lastname@example.org About the match.com mobile app The mobile app has been designed to be a quick and easy way to communicate with members on the go. Features include ‘Shuffle’ technology which enables members to quickly move between profiles. If two people ‘like’ each other they are added to a members favourites and can choose to message each other. From autumn, members will also be able to sign up to match.com Events via the app.
About the research
Research conducted by OnePoll between 5th and 8th December 2014. Survey polled 1000 UK adults aged 18-35.